Our co-President advised that the Christmas party has been organized. We so look forward to this after not being able to celebrate with our members last year. She also advised that our AGM will be conducted as stated in our constitution at the November. We will have a normal meeting afterwards albeit somewhat shortened… but always with time for a wonderful afternoon tea.
Our Flora of the Month is really hotting up just as the weather is. This month’s offerings were:
3 members brought in Papillion hippeastrums
Pieris japonica, Lily of the valley
Blue Knob Aechmea A. cylindrical
Sinningia bullata- a relative of African violets, Heliconcia angusta ‘Red Christmas’, a lovely orange Dahilia
Bartlettina sordida ‘Mist Flower’ syn Eupatorium megalophyllum a beautiful purple haze in early spring.
Our guest speaker was one of our own who spoke about Tibouchinas. Tobouchinas that grow very well in our region. Members bought along some of their beautiful specimens to show.
- Tibouchina ‘Alstonville’ – bred by nurseryman ken Dunstan in Alstonville – a tree to 5m. Masses of Purple flowers in Spring & Autumn. Can be pruned hard end of Summer
- Tibouchina ‘Kathleen’- a pink flowering shrub to 1.5m. Lesley doesn’t fertilize her shrub and it is a happy. If you do fertilize, do it in spring.
- Tibouchina ‘Chameleon’ – a shrub to 1-3m. Flowers change from white to mauve to pink. Takes full sun to part shade.
- Tibouchina ‘Peace Baby’- a dwarf shrub to 1.0m+. Large white flowers, with attractive dark red buds.
- Tibouchina ‘Jazzie’- a purple flowering shrub to 2-3m
- Tibouchina ‘Blue Moon’- dwarf shrub with lilac flowers
- Tibouchina ‘Jules’ – a groundcover
- A native tibouchina – Melastome affine is also available
Propagation is by soft tip cuttings
The afternoon tea at our meetings are so delicious and such a great chance to get together and to meet new people. We don’t give the members who volunteer with the afternoon teas thanks and praise but it is so appreciated. I am sure that without them the afternoon would not be as enjoyable.